All children are at risk. 1 Peter 5:8 states: Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. So how do we protect the children we love?
As children head back to school . . .
- Memorize Philippians 4:13 with them: I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
- In the morning before they head to school, ask them how you can pray for them today. And then pray for and with them right then.
- When you meet their teacher(s), tell the teacher(s) you appreciate them investing in your child and that you will be praying for them regularly. (Without exception, every teacher I have engaged with has thanked me for lifting them up in prayer.)
- Monitor your child’s use of technology. Cell phones, Ipads, computers, etc. You, as a parent or guardian have a responsibility to protect your child from the perils of the Internet and dangerous individuals who may do harm to your child.
- Have a back to school prayer gathering. We simply text our friends and meet at a home at 7 on a designated evening. We gather in a circle and ask the students and adults for prayer requests for the coming school year. After the requests are given, 3-5 of us say prayers (both students and adults pray.)
Remember, we have nothing to fear. Greater is He who lives in me than the spirit who lives in the world (1 John 4:4).